Dal makhani is a very poplular dish of punjab…. It tastes best at each and every dhaba in punjab, when server with lachha paratha, whole onion soaked in vinegar and whole green chillis…. Also known as “Kaali Dal”, “Maa Di Dal” or simply “Maa Ki Dal” ..
I am trying my best to share the recipe of DAL MAKHANI which will taste almost same as that in punjab… Rest you can try it and share me your feedback…
- 3/4 cups urad dal (whole black lentils)
- 1/4 cup rajma (red kidney beans)
- 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic-green chilli paste
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 meduim sized tomatoes (mashed)
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp. red chiili powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. coriender powder
- 1/4 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. cream
- Few coriander leaves (chopped)
- Wash urad dal and rajma 2-3 times.
- Soak urad dal and rajma overnight in 3 cups of water.
- Now add salt to soaked urad dal and rajma and pressure cook till rajma becomes soft.
- Now take butter in a pan and put it on flame.
- Then add cumin seeds to it when butter becomes hot.
- When cumin seeds starts changing its colour, then add ginger-garlic-green chilli paste to it.
- Then add chopped onoin to it and fry till the onion becomes golden brown.
- Now add all the spices to mashed tomato and mix well.
- Now add this mixture to chopped onoins in pan and stir till it starts leaving butter.
- Then add the pressure cooked urad dal and rajma to it and mix well
- Now add milk to it and if its too thick then add small amount of water.
- Cook well and put it on steam for 5-10 minutes.
- Now put off the flame and garnish it with coriander leaves and cream.
- Serve hot with lachha paratha.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE OF DAL MAKHANI (per serving)
- Calories : 349
- Fat : 20 g
- Cholestrol : 3 mg
- Carbohydrates : 33 g
- Protien : 11 g
TIPS WHILE PREPARING DAL MAKHANI
- After soaking, dal and rajma becomes bigger in size so you can slightly mash them so cook quickly.