As we all know that Rajasthan is one of the hottest places in India… In these dry summer winds, Thandai makes us feel cooler and have many other health benifits as well…
Thandai is one of the most popular drinks not even in Rajasthan, but all over India.. This is basically a north indian cold drink and prepared especially on the occassion of Holi and Maha Shivratri….
Here is the recipe of thandai and its health benifits :
- ½ litre full fat milk
- ½ litre water
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 10 to 12 black peppercorns (kali mirch)(finely powdered)
- Below mentioned thandai powder
- ¼ cup almonds(badam)
- 2 tbsp. poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 2 tbsp. fenny seeds (saunf)
- ½ tsp. cardomom (elaichi) powder
- 1 tbsp. dry melon/watermelon seeds (available in market)
- ¼ cup dried rose petals
For Garnishing :
- 8-10 fresh rose petals
- Few fine chopped almonds and pistachios
- A few saffron (kesar) strands
- Mix and grind all ingredients of thandai powder and keep aside.
- Boil the milk and allow it to cool completely. Keep aside.
- Soak sugar in half of the water and keep aside.
- Soak thandai powder in remaining water..
- Do not touch the soaked items for at least 2 hours.
- Now grind soaked thandai powder with help of stone grinder, if possible, else use normal grinder.
- Place a muslin cloth over a vessal and put soaked thandai powder mixure slowly on that cloth and press it to extract its liquid.. Keep pressing until the residue becomes almost dry and water stops coming out of it..
- Add milk and soaked sugar syrup into that and mix well. Refrigerate the mixture for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add black pepper powder,cardomom powder and saffron and mix well.
- Garnish with almonds, pistachios and rose petals.
- Serve chilled.
NUTRITIONAL VALUE (per glass)
- Iron -2.44 mg
- Protein -3.50 g
- Carbohydrate -36.96 g
- Energy -209.36 Cal
- Vitamin A -137.4 IU
- Vitamin B1 -0.493 mg
- Fats -5.28 g
- Fennel seeds known for its antioxidants and cooling properties.
- Peppercorn is considered as the king of spices, it has medicinal properties as it has piperine. It also has minerals like manganese, zinc, calcium, iron and vitamin A.
- Watermelon seeds are a source of energy, protein and iron. 1 cup of watermelon seeds provides 45% of the daily RDA.
- Rose petals have been known for their ayurvedic properties. They are very good for digestion problems.
- Almonds are a rich source of vitamin E and are known for their antioxidant effects. They are good for brain and heart as they have cholesterol regulating effects.
- Milk is known as the best source of calcium and protein for vegetarians. It is also a rich source of micro nutrients like zinc, phosphorus and iron. Cold milk is known to be an antacid and have cooling effects on the body.
- It gives instant relief to the exhausted body and mind and provides the much required energy and freshness. It also helps to cope with problems related to acidity and constipation. It enhances appetite. This Thandai is tasty and cooling.
Tips while preparing thandai :
If sugar crystals are formed while cooling the Thandai Syrup, add ½ cup of boiling water to it and stir.
You can prepare the thandai powder anytime and put it in airtight jar, and use in future. It will save a lot of time.
Special side dish : THANDAI ICECREAM
Take vanilla ice cream and add to it the soaked mixture of Thandai powder** , blend it well and then again refrigerate it for 4-6 hours.
Garnish with almonds, pistachios and rose petals. Serve chilled.
** For ice-cream, soak the thandai powder in 1-2 cups of water only so that, icecream does not get very much diluted.